Experiences of Racially and Ethnically Diverse Nurses
The AMN Healthcare 2021 Survey of Registered Nurses provides unique viewpoints on diversity, equality, equity, and inclusion in the healthcare environment, including the experiences of racially and ethnically diverse nurses.
AONL members and non-members: Complimentary
Highlights from the survey:
- Nearly two thirds of all nurses say that racial or ethnic harassment occurs “a moderate amount,” “a lot,” or “a great deal.”
- Diverse nurses compared to white nurses
- 12 percentage points less likely to agree that all coworkers have equitable opportunities
- 11 percentage points less likely to agree that employers and coworkers value workforce diversity
- 4 percentage points less likely to feel a sense of belonging at current workplace
- Diverse nurses experience greater career satisfaction
- 10 percentage points higher in career satisfaction
- 12 percentage points more likely to encourage others to choose the nursing profession
From National Commission to Address Racism in Nursing - 2022 Nationwide Survey
- Nearly half of nurses say there is “a lot” of racism in nursing
- Three quarters of Black nurses say racism negatively impacts their professional well-being
- 57% of nurses said they have challenged racism in the workplace, but more than half said that resulted in no change
Recommendations from the National Commission to Address Racism in Nursing
- Mentorship – Formal Structured Programs
- Accountability – Evaluation and Resolution of grievances
- Allyship – Leaders in Action to Address Racism
- Calling Out Racism – Give Voice to the Narrative
Paulette Anest, MSN, RN, Vice President Clinical Operations & Education Solutions
Paulette Anest, MSN, RN, has served as the Vice President of Clinical Operations and Education Solutions at AMN Healthcare for more than seven years. She has over 25 years’ experience in the healthcare industry which includes research, clinical practice, human resources management, leadership, education, and innovation.
Industry Insights webinars do not award education credits.
This AONL Industry Insights Webinar is presented by AMN Healthcare.
*AONL Industry Insights Webinars are opportunities for companies to share their industry knowledge and/or solutions to industry challenges. AONL does not support or endorse AMN Healthcare products or services. Contact hours are not available for AONL Industry Insights Webinars.