Frequently Asked Questions
To be eligible for the CNML exam, a candidate must meet the target practitioner definition:CNML Target Practitioner: The nurse manager and leader is a nurse leader who has the skills to facilitate delivery of high quality evidence-based collaborative care to a wide range of patients. Nurse Managers/Leaders possess clinical expertise. Typically, Nurse Manager/Leaders have clinical and administrative accountability for their unit(s) during all hours of operations. The Nurse Manager/Leaders’ administrative responsibility includes management of finances, human resources, staffing, performance improvement, technology, and strategy. The Nurse Manager/Leader possesses broad-based clinical and leadership skills through communication, mentoring, advocacy, systems thinking, critical thinking, and establishment of a healthy work environment.
A valid and unrestricted license as a Registered Nurse and fulfill one of the following requirements for education/work experience.
- A baccalaureate in nursing degree or higher plus one year of experience in a nurse manager/leader role
- A non-nursing baccalaureate degree or higher plus 3 years of experience in a comprehensive leadership support role
There is no defined time limit, but the practice should be recent enough that the applicant’s executive nursing practice was guided by the AONL Nurse Executive Competencies.
Candidates can retake the exam no sooner than 90 days after their most recent exam date. An application will be available after the 90 days have passed. Candidates may apply for and take the same certification exam up to 3 times in a 12-month period. Review the complete policy.
AONL offers testing locations in all 50 states. We also offer testing locations internationally abroad. Find the nearest testing location.
- Robert Boesch, DNP, RN, CNML (Chair), Hershey, Penn.
- Karen Chandler, MSN, RN, CNML, CPPS, Lebanon, N.H.
- Tracy M Carafeno, BSN, MS, RN CNML, New Haven, Conn.
- Tina Hepner, MSN, RN, CNML, Salt Lake City
- Deborah Dalsing, MSN, RN, CNML, Dodgeville, Wis.
- Vanessa Vonderhaar-Picard, DNP, MEd, RN, CNML, Cincinnati
- Successful re-examination
- Documentation of 45 contact hours of continuing professional education over the 3-year period and payment of the renewal fee. Recertification $200 fee for AONL and $275 fee for nonmember.