Use the information below to help you navigate some of the frequently asked questions that CENP test takers bring to AONL.
Where can I take the CENP exam?
AONL offers testing locations in all 50 states. We also offer testing locations internationally abroad.
Find the nearest testing location
How do I prepare for the CENP exam?
AONL offers practice exams and in-person review courses for people interested in taking the review course. The following are recommended resources to assist you in your preparation. CENP exam resources
Am I qualified to take the CENP exam?
To be eligible for the CENP examination, a candidate must meet the target practitioner definition and fulfill one of the following requirements for education / work experience.
A valid and unrestricted license as a Registered Nurse; and Master’s degree or higher plus two years of experience in an executive nursing role. One of the degrees must be in Nursing.
A valid and unrestricted license as a Registered Nurse; and a baccalaureate in nursing plus four years of experience in an executive nursing role.
How much is the exam?
Exam: $325 AONL | $450 non-member
Register for the exam How do I get my recertification?
Attaining certification is an indication of mastery of a well-defined body of knowledge at a point in time. Periodic recertification is required to maintain certified status. Initial certification or recertification of certification is valid for three(3) years. A certificant may renew the CENP credential through one of two routes
1) Successful re-examination
2) Documentation of 45 contact hours of continuing professional education over the 3 - year period and payment of the recertification fee.
Who is on the steering committee?
- Elizabeth Abderrahman, MS, MBA, CNML, RN, Murphy, TX
- Julie Gorczyca, RN, MHSA, CNML, Grand Blanc, MI
- Wanda Johanson, RN, Aliso Viejo, CA
- Julie Krebs, BA, Aurora, CO
- Susan Nelmark, MA, RN, CNML, Duluth, MN
- Tanya Osborne-McKenzie, MSN-MBA, RN, CCRN, BSN, CNML,Salinas, CA
- Tamara Sebolt, RN, MSN, CNML, Iowa City, IA
- Sharon Tobias, MSN, RN, CCM, PCCN, CNML, Cary, NC
- Pamela Thompson, MS, RN, CENP, FAAN, Washington, DC
Can I take the exam as an international nurse leader?
International nurse leaders have to download and fill out the International Request Document.
What is the pass rate and number of recipients of the CENP exam?
Find out the pass rate and number certified in the summary of certification activities.