Frequently Asked Questions
To be eligible for the CENP examination, a candidate must meet the target practitioner definition and fulfill one of the following requirements for education / work experience.A valid and unrestricted license as a Registered Nurse; and Master’s degree or higher plus two years of experience in an executive nursing role. One of the degrees must be in Nursing.
A valid and unrestricted license as a Registered Nurse; and a baccalaureate in nursing plus four years of experience in an executive nursing role.
Your job title might not match the title of the exam application, but you may be practicing in the role and specialty the exam tests. Please refer to the Test Content Outline and target audience found in the Candidate Handbook for details and compare it to your job function.
The CENP exam is composed of 175 multiple-choice questions. A candidate’s score is based on 150 of these questions; 25 are “trail” or “pretest” questions interspersed throughout the examination.
Candidates can retake the exam no sooner than 90 days after their most recent exam date. An application will be available after the 90 days have passed. Candidates may apply for and take the same certification exam up to 3 times in a 12-month period. Review the complete policy.
Yes. The AONL International Credentials Evaluation Service (administered through CGFNS International, Inc.) allows foreign-educated nurses to verify educational, licensure/registration and employment credentials required for the exam.
Candidates who are eligible for the CENP Examination and wish to be tested outside the U.S. must submit a Request for International Examination Administration.
- Robert Kepshire, MS, MA, RN, CENP (Chair), Evans, Ga.
- Marianne Kraemer, BSN, MPA, EdM, RN CENP (Vice Chair), Stratford, N.J.
- Candida Constantine-Castillo, MSN, RN, CENP, La Feria, Texas
- Lisa Hernandez, DNP, RN, CENP, Mission, Texas
- Imana Minard, MSN, RN, CENP, Belleville, Mich.
- Janie Schumaker, MBA, RN, CEN, CENP, CPHQ, FABC, OakBrook, Ill.
- Successful re-examination
- Documentation of 45 contact hours of continuing professional education over the 3 - year period and payment of the recertification fee.