What to Expect
In today's evolving health care environment, when hospitals are struggling to maintain their margins in the face of rising costs, decreased payment and increased expectations for quality care outcomes, every health care clinical leader has increased accountability for bottom line results. To equip nurse executives for these challenges, AONL, in partnership with the Healthcare Financial Management Association (HFMA) offers a Certificate in Health Care Finance for Nurse Executives.
Who should participate?
The certificate is for nurse executives who have a strong foundation in nursing finance and are interested in knowing how to participate in discussions with CFO's, assess and justify requests, quantify clinical activity and spot profit drains.
You’ll complete the certificate ready to actively participate in executive level financial decisions–from understanding revenue cycle operations, to building and monitoring budgets to forecasting to financial reporting to appreciating the world of the Chief Financial Officer.
- Discuss the impact of Health Reform and the critical need for closer clinical and financial integration
- Describe revenue cycle processes including private and government payers, billing compliance, audits, charity care and bad debt
- Summarize budgeting processes and financial reporting that is unique to the health care industry
- Identify how clinical and financial decisions impact day-to-day operations, as well as the overall health of the organization
- Recognize how health care CFO's and other executives are addressing the current challenges
- Practice expert communication skills to engage in dialogue with stakeholders
Certificate is awarded upon the completion of:
- A two-day Executive Level Skills in Health Care Finance course
- Preparatory reading
- Pre- and post-assessment (scores do not influence achievement of the certificate)
- A webinar on health care policy related to finance
- Development of a plan for a project that applies learning from the program
*The Certificate in Health Care Finance is awarded upon completion of all components.
Continuing Education Contact Hours
The certificate program is approved for 16 continuing nursing education contact hours. The American Organization for Nursing Leadership is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
AONL is authorized to award 16 hours of pre-approved ACHE Qualified Education credit (non-ACHE) for this program toward advancement, or recertification in the American College of Healthcare Executives.
Healthcare Financial Management Association (HFMA) Educational Foundation is registered with the National Association of the State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing education on the National Registry of the CPE sponsors. ate boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual course for CPE credit.