The AONL Nurse Executive Fellowship is a highly interactive nine-month program designed for nurses who are new to the C- Suite in a senior executive role (CNO or comparable positions). Participants in the fellowship will develop critical executive competencies to lead in complex systems and to influence and inspire the nursing workforce and others.
This program uses expert faculty, thoughtful dialogue with peers, experiential simulation methodology and situational analysis to engage participants and equip them to address the challenges that nurse executives face.
Participants complete a validated personality assessment process used extensively in the corporate world and adapted for use in health care. Results indicating usual tendencies, stress tendencies and motivators are discussed 1:1 with a certified coaching professional.
- Strategic thinking and decision making
- Executive presence and C-suite communication skills
- Methods for innovation and change leadership
- Governance and board relations
- Executive business skills and how to leverage big data
Novice senior nurse executives with 0 to three years of experience in an executive role, including CNO, VP of Patient Services, System Director and COO.
The fellowship includes:
- Fellowship retreats — three intensive face-to-face meetings
- Cohort of peers — develop a life-long, supportive network
- In-depth analysis — validated personality assessment with 1:1 coaching
- Additional virtual learning — webinars and online small groups
- Registration to the AONL 2020 Annual Conference
- Opportunity to earn a Certificate in Executive Leadership from AONL
Requirements & Tuition
The program fee includes all course materials, three face-to-face meetings, webinars, personality assessment with 1:1 coaching session and registration fees for the AONL 2020 Annual Conference. Participants also receive a complimentary registration to AONL Advocacy Day and a discount on the Health Care Finance for Nurse Executives certificate program. Participants are responsible for all additional expenses including travel, accommodations and meals not provided during the meeting sessions.
Applications due August 19
Required Application Documents
2020 Fellowship Schedule
Continuing Education Contact Hours
This fellowship is approved for continuing nursing education contact hours. Fellows will earn a minimum of 50 contact hours with the opportunity to earn more.
The American Organization for Nursing Leadership is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
Contact AONL for questions or if you are interested in future courses.